The HOME STAR proposal calls for the creation of a national program to provide direct rebates to homeowners who invest in qualifying home energy efficiency improvements. At the request of the homeowner, rebate amounts can be deducted from overall job costs at the time of sale and paid directly to the contractor or product retailer after the retrofit work has been completed. The plan gives homeowners a choice of two types of incentives. The SILVER STAR incentive prioritizes easy and rapid deployment. The GOLD STAR incentive promotes greater energy savings by offering higher rebate amounts for consumers who choose this path. SILVER STAR provides rebates for specific energy–?saving measures such as air sealing; attic, wall or crawl space insulation; duct sealing or replacement; and replacement of existing windows, doors, water heaters, household appliances or heating and air conditioning equipment. Rebate amounts are up to $1500 per qualified installed measure, capped at 50 percent of project costs or $3,000 (whichever is less). The performance based GOLD STAR incentive is based on predicted energy savings as determined by a thorough energy audit performed before the work begins. Using proven building science methods, the auditor tests the home’s energy performance, designs a customized retrofit plan in consultation with the homeowner, and calculates the energy savings that will result from the recommended measures. Homeowners can receive $3,000 for modeled savings of 20%, plus $1,500 for each additional 5% of modeled energy savings, with incentives not to exceed 50% of total project costs. To prevent fraud and assure quality, HOME STAR requires appropriate licensing and certification for all participating contractors, and a percentage of all jobs will be inspected by a third party within 30 days of completion to verify proper installation.
Please contact your house of representatives member TODAY and let them know you support the bill.
The Message To Your Representative:
- The Home Star legislation, H.R. 5019 is coming to the floor and I ask for your support.
- This vote does NOT provide funding but provides authorization. I am as concerned about the use of tax dollars as anyone, but we MUST pass this bill so we can get contractors back to work retrofitting homes.
- This is not about politics; this is about jobs for my business/friends/family/community.
- Home Star is a bi-partisan bill that deserves bi-partisan support on the House floor.
- Home Star WILL create jobs, but delaying cannot be an option. We need the jobs today!
Call your local Congressional Representative:
Go to the house of representatives and find your representatives contact information Link to House of Representatives